Tuesday, December 8, 2015

my thoughts

oh my!!

I'm so sorry I've not posted in so long.  It's been a very long summer/fall and I blinked and it's December and I haven't posted since May!!

If you read my last post, my family was going through a rough time in late May.  That "rough time" turned into the hardest situation my family has ever been through over the summer.  To say it got better would not be the truth.  Each day brought new struggles, and more friends turning their backs on my family because of gossip being spread around.  It was a very,very hard summer.

We did have some high points though!  I was able to visit my friend Blaine and go on a work week trip with her church in Tennessee.  We helped out with a VBS for special needs adults, and helped a church with their outdoor chapel.  At the end of the trip, we were able to go white water rafting, which was fun.

I got home on a Friday after being gone a week, and the day after that we left to drive to Atlanta, spent the night there, then flew to my favorite place in the world....

San Francisco!!

Because we had had some hard past few months, my Dad wanted us girls to just get away from the drama and go have fun.  We were there for about two weeks.  I turned 17 while I was there, and it was just the most amazing trip with my Mom and little sister.

October we took our annual trip to Canada.  This year, we decided to drive with my Dad...it was good, but a long long drive- almost 2,000 miles one way.  I can't go into detail about everything that happened, but to give you a cliff note version...

~ saturday, the first day we were there, we were all starting to get sick. A bad cold and fever was running through the family

~monday- the first day my dad went hunting with our dogs, one of the english pointers, (dad's favorite) w.c., ran off. We have electric collars to prevent this from happening since our dogs are such big runners, but w.c.'s was a faulty collar (this was one of the first times dad had used it), and he was gone.  Dad loaded up and went looking, but there was no sign of him anywhere.

~tuesday-everybody is full-blown sick.  Cough, colds, fever, aches, chills...just everything.  still no sign of W.C.  at this point, the word had been spread that he was missing.  we go to a very rural part of Manitoba, so the farmland is just huge up there.  We were depending on the farmers who were harvesting to possibly spot him or hoping he'd run up to a farmhouse

~wednesday- we got some absolutely awful news.  Ripley, the father of our puppy, Fraulein, was out hunting with my Dad and a friend.  Dad has a huge covered trailer that he uses for decoys, and he was driving slowly out of the field, picking up decoys along the way after the hunt.  For some reason, to this day we don't know why, Ripley ran underneath that trailer, and Dad accidentally ran over him.  He broke his back and was killed instantly, without any pain.  Ripley was the sweetest dog we've ever had.  He didn't have a mean bone in his body.  It felt like I had lost a sibling when my dad told us, with tears streaming down his face, what had happened.  That was the worst day. I was able to kiss him goodbye and get his collar off before we buried him.
 Still no sign of W.C.  At this point, all of us are sure that something had happened to him.  He's a skinny bird dog, which the big coyote's up there could totally wipe out, not to mention he hadn't had food for three days and it was below freezing at night.

~thursday- I was starting to feel better, and needed to get out of the house to get my mind off of everything that happened within the first four days we had been there.  Dad felt the same, so we went hunting.  We had a wonderful time with each other and the dogs, and it was just great.  Dad shot really well and killed 4 ruffed grouse.  That night we had been invited for dinner at a friend's home.  Right before we left, my dad checked his phone and had three missed calls from an unknown number...again someone tried calling, dad answered, and all I remember dad saying was "where do I need to go?"  Someone had spotted W.C.! Us girls went to the friend's home to wait while Dad went looking.  We got the call about thirty minutes later, "WE GOT HIM!"  W.C. was found, safe, without a scratch on him, all thanks to God for keeping him safe and the amazing community for spreading the word and looking for him. My dad immediately took him back to the farmhouse and put him in our nice and warm insulated dog trailer and fed him a little bit.  

The next few days W.C. spent inside, slowly working his appetite back up and I'm happy to say that he is now his normal self again :) I'm so thankful for him.  It was a God Thing.

So by about Saturday all of us had gotten over our colds and started to see friends and visit places.  That whole next week we spent visiting and shopping and having a good time.  Then, that next Saturday, my Dad decided we'd leave the following Tuesday.  So we were packing as much in as we could!  Saturday afternoon, we had tea with friends at a fundraiser in town.  I had an egg salad sandwich and tea.  That night, we went to our friend's home for dinner, and I started to feel awful....

I had gotten food poisoning from the egg salad sandwich (literally typing that out makes me sick.  lol)  I was throwing up all Saturday night, and it was Tuesday afternoon before I ate half a sandwich.  I lost 7lbs the first night I was sick.

So, we drove back and made it home safe and sound.  Whew!!


This entire year has just been a whirlwind.  We've had a whole lot of bad mixed in with good. But I can honestly say that God is good.  God is good.

I'm thankful for my parents, my little sis, and all of our precious furry babies.  I'm thankful for our friends that have stuck by us through our difficult season, and also to God for showing me the friends that weren't on my side.  I'm thankful that God has protected us and has always been there, constantly.  He will never leave nor forsake us.


That's all for tonight!   I'm going to post pictures from our summer and trips soon!

Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see pics of your trip! :)
    I'm very vey sorry to hear about Ripley (hugs!) because I have a dog that I adore and she adores me. I'd be lost without her. She's a GSD/beardog. XD And I'm so glad that W.C is safe! Praise God for that!
    And about you guys being sick and the food poisoning...that's no fun. But I'm glad you had some fun on your trips. XD I'm glad that you are all safe now!
    I've been through some tough times lately as well...losing my beloved Grandpa, losing more than one friend at once, people betraying us, people suddenly turning on us and lying about us, people bashing us, people hating us everywhere we turn...but when we are alone yet we are NOT alone! Because God is with us. He has been showing us that He is enough to sustain us! We are willing to suffer this for Christ's sake and not our own.
    Hope you have a good day! XD
    blessings,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Grace! Especially your name...it's beautiful. :)

    Hannah
    CompletelyForHim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete