Tuesday, November 25, 2014

a time to cry & a time to laugh...

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry I haven't blogged in forever.  It's been a crazy last few weeks. As my grandfather says "When it rains, it pours."  It's definitely been pouring at the Mattox home.

First of, my family took our annual trip to Canada.  My Dad drove, as usual. His truck broke down 3 times and then he got a flat tire.
Then, when we came home after being gone two weeks, we noticed our floors buckling.  We have re-purposed pine wood floors in our house.  My Mom stepped on one of these boards and, to all of our surprise, water shot up!  Long story short, a pipe in our laundry room has been leaking for several months now.  They found mold in our laundry room closet.  They have to rip everything out 6 inches above the floor (keep in mind that because this was leaking for so long, water spread throughout our downstairs.) So that means, floors, cabinets, the built in bookcases, our stove, dishwasher, fridge, washing machine & dryer...all that has to come out.  On top of that, they cannot reuse our floors.  Since our floors were one of a kind, we have to get all new flooring on the downstairs floor, no matter if water spread there or not.  So, that's happening!!  Thankfully, they aren't starting demo til after Thanksgiving.
Then, even worse than this is about our horse, Rooster.  Many of you will remember that we just recently bought Rooster (in May of this year) and just got him moved to our house in late September.  Emma went to feed him one day, and noticed clouds in his eyes. We immediately got a vet to come over, and he confirmed that Rooster has Equine Recurrent Uveitis (ERU).  He is completely blind in his right eye, and partially in his left.  This is a condition that comes in attacks.  If the attacks are discovered and taken care of, it slows down the process of blindness.  But, Rooster's obviously was not taken care of, therefore he is almost totally blind.  I can't begin to tell you how devastated we are, especially my sister Emma.  Rooster is her best friend, and he is only 7 years old.  Currently, we are looking for a ranch specifically for blind horses (if you know of any, please let me know!).  We had two vets opinions, and both agree that Rooster is not safe for Emma to have, period.

So, that's what's been going on.  :0 It's been a lot, a whole lot.  I was beginning to feel kind of beaten up, just like my family was getting tossed around with all of the bad things happening (some I'm not even mentioning). Realization hit, and I felt so stressed when I realized I could do absolutely nothing to change the circumstances.  Our whole house is going to be ripped up- can't do nothing about it.  Rooster is blind- nope, I can't change that either.

That's been really difficult.  But like the verse above (ecclesiasties 3), there is a time for everything.  There is a purpose for everything. God has us in His hands, and I am grateful for that.

My Dad reminded me that this too shall pass.

I will leave you with a few recent pics.  I'll try to go into more detail about our Canada trip soon :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
we were able to have a fall party back in october with some friends :)

aunt retta and uncle bobby got to stop by too!

family christmas picture in canada, nov 2014

me and my babe (fraulein)

and last but not least, our sweet rooster.  this pic was taken a while back.




3 comments:

  1. Awww Grace...it sounds like you've had it rough! I'll be praying for you....I'm very sorry to hear about your house and especially about Rooster! He's a beautiful horse. I send a hug to Emma! I have had a friend's two special horses die and it's so sad. :( I loved the pics...and your dog is so cute! Thanks for sharing. Remember, God is always at your side...He will help you. All you have to do is pray. :)
    Will be looking forward to the trip to Canada pics....I live in Canada. :) Which part of Canada? I'm far north ( gold rush area. )
    Blessings and Prayers!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete