Wednesday, March 5, 2014

berlin/amsterdam 2014 {part one of europe trip!}

hi everyone!

So sorry I've taken so long to post.  I've still gotta get back into the swing of things. lol  We left for Berlin on the 2nd of February, and flew from Atlanta.  We had about a 3 hour layover there before our flight left for London.  Whenever we are in the Atlanta airport, my family always tries to eat at this one sushi place that's absolutely amazing.  I had never been there before this trip, and let me tell you something.  I was in utter bliss.  (:  We got on our plane, and got settled in.  My parents were in the front of the plane, and us girls were near the back.  Before we took off, I get a group text from my Mom to me and my sister...

Mom- "Keith Urban is sitting beside us!"
Me- "Whatever."
Mary- "Yeah right!"
Mom- "No!  Seriously!!! Look!!"


Y'all.. MY PARENTS WERE SITTING BESIDE KEITH URBAN.  OH MY WORD!!!!  If you live in the south, country music is kinda a must... I grew up listening to Keith, and I love his old music.  I was so starstruck that we were on the same flight!  I text my Dad and told him to start playing some of Keith's music on his phone and see what he did...lol

The flight was...loonngg.  Us girls were in three seats together, and I could barely move the whole time.  I totally had my legs all sticking out in the aisle because I was so cramped.  I didn't sleep either.  I can never sleep on planes like that, so I just watched movies all night!  We got to London at 6:30am.  Customs and everything went great, and we got to our hotel.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Heathrow.  It was pretty nice.   We ate breakfast, then passed out all  That night for dinner, we walked and ate at a place called "The Pheasant"  Wow.  So. Much. Food.  The plates came out overflowing with huge helpings!  My Dad couldn't even finish his dinner!




The next day, we got up early and flew to Berlin.  We stayed at the Eurostars Hotel.  I have to say that my first impression of Germany wasn't very nice, people wise... We got a very mean customs officer that obviously didn't like us.  lol and we were still so jet-lagged.  We got to our hotel, and took another nap.  It happened that our hotel was right beside a university library!  My family absolutely loves libraries, so it was so cool to be beside one.  There were students there till 12:00am!

Our first day in Berlin, we walked down the Frederichstrasse.  There were so many shops and things everywhere!  We went in a bookstore that was 4 floors...wow.  I was in heaven!  It was gorgeous.  Too bad everything was in German :/

We then took a tram to the TV Tower in Berlin.  Wow.  That's all I can say.  Wow.

There was this awesome chalk art on the sidewalk.

the view from the top




We then went to the Berlin Dom.  Another big WOW.  







I think that the view from the Dom was so much better than the TV Tower because you could actually see the TV Tower. I had no idea that you could go all the way to the top!  Literally, we were walking around the top of the Dom...it was so amazing.  If you look closely in the top picture, you can see the railing around the top of the Dom.  That's where we walked (:

The next day, we went to the airport...long story short, I left my phone on the flight from London to Amsterdam.  I realized it as soon as we got to the hotel, and my parents called the airline, and kept calling and calling.  Finally, we got word that they found it!!  So, we took a train out to the airport to pick it up.  Then, we went to Checkpoint Charlie.  That was so amazing.  I feel so very bad for all those people that were separated by the Berlin Wall for all those years.

silliness on the train







Another thing in Berlin is that they have Starbucks literally on every corner.  It was amazing.  We enjoyed the free WiFi (:

Then, we went to Charlottenburg Palace.  It was already closed by the time we got there, but it was gorgeous.



Here was the event my Dad was speaking at:





The next day, we went to Brandenburg Gate.  It was so big!  We then somehow passed Checkpoint Charlie again (don't give me a hard time.  I am not even going to attempt to say how difficult the German language is...lol)  We then saw the Berlin Wall.  Absolutely breathtaking.  And, we also went up the fastest elevator in Europe!  so cool.




Starbucks!

I got a picture with the "American" guard!

Berlin Wall

me and Mom at the wall.

in the elevator at the hotel!

The next day, we were supposed to fly to Amsterdam.  But, our flight got mixed up, and we ended up taking a train.  My favorite way to travel (:

Berlin Train Station

We arrived in Amsterdam, and got to our hotel.  We stayed at Hotel Vondel.  It's a really cool and nice hotel.  There are stairs going every which way, some that are literally like ladders.  It was so fun racing up them (: we rested that afternoon, then went out for dinner at a tapas place, which was absolutely wonderful.  
The next day, we got up, ate breakfast, and started walking.  It was freezing and raining, but my family loves Amsterdam so much that we didn't care.  We went to Vondel Park to recreate some pictures and set up our enos (:


in the park

Vondel Park is a lot like Central Park in New York.  So beautiful (:

2008 & 2014

2008 & 2014


 We were only in Amsterdam for a full day, and then we left for London.


to be continued (:

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it ALL!!!!!!! It's so awesome that you get to do this. I'm a bit jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT an adventure!!!! You've been awarded - http://kelly-annesblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/lovliness-today-awards.html

    Blessings,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're so privileged to have been to Berlin. My aunt, uncle, and cousin live there; I would love to visit -- you're photos make me want to go there even more!

    Love in Christ,

    Acacia
    capture life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is really neat.
    come check out my blog at: countryfun-braelyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete