Wednesday, July 31, 2013

washington d.c. pictures & friends

Hi everyone!

We got back from our DC trip on Sunday.  I had the most amazing time!  On the way up, we stopped near Raleigh, NC, to see some dear friends of ours that we hadn't seen in years.  It was so great to see them!  We had lunch with them, and that night drove to Virginia.... I met Melissa, my best friend that I told you about here.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was so fun!!!  We were texting on the way up, and I would tell her where I was.  I was literally screaming in the car and shaking.  My whole family thought I was going through some weird panic attack.  I was literally freaking out.  When we pulled on their road, Melissa, her sister Rachel, and their Mom was standing outside.  Before the car stopped, I jumped out of the car and hugged my best friend for the first time.  It was sooo awesome!!  We had dinner with them that night, then spent the night with them.  My dream came true! lol Then the next day we stayed till lunch, and headed to Mt. Vernon.  Absolutely beautiful!  I loved being there.  We drove on to Fairfax, VA, which is where we stayed.  Each day, we took the metro into DC.  The first day we went to Georgetown Cupcake, and I celebrated my birthday early (: then we went to the Pentagon, and then Arlington National Cemetery.  Since my Mom was in the Army, and went to Saudi Arabia, Arlington is kinda special to me.  Each grave that I saw, I would think to myself "that could have been my Mom."  The amount of graves their is surreal.  And to think that allllll of those people died fighting for our freedom, it's overwhelming.  

Melissa and her family met us at Arlington to have some cupcakes (:  We had so much fun.  Those girls are my lost sisters.  After saying a sad good bye, we went back to the hotel, and got ready for the next day.  

Friday, we went to the Smithsonian American History museum, the National Mall, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the WWII Memorial, the Old Post Office Tower, the Hard Rock Cafe, and the Capitol.  Needless to say, my feet were falling off when we made it back to the hotel!  We figured up that we walked 5 1/2 miles that day alone.  

On the way home the next day, we went by Monticello.  So beautiful!  It amazes me that back in that time, they built those beautiful buildings!  

Okay- enough talk!  Here are some pictures:



















The first grave in the above pic, Mark E. Stratton II, is a man my Mom went to high school with, and was in ROTC with.  He died doing what he loved, and left a family with small children behind.












I think that the rest of the pics are kinda self-explanatory (;














I hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!  Right now, I'm in the midst of studying for my driver's permit test (:  my birthday is Monday, so I'm going to get my permit the moment I wake up, of course (;


Love you guys!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! Going to D.C. seems like it would be an awesome experience.

    So exciting that you got to see your best friend! :) One of my best friends is kind of long-distance, and it's great when we get back together after going a while without seeing each other. When you stay close over a distance, that makes your friendship just that much better. ;)

    And YOU, Grace, are so beautiful! :)

    God bless,
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy that you got to meet Melissa finally! How exciting!!! Love the pictures! Happy Birthday, and good luck on your test!!!

    ~Hannah, Ruth, and Sarah Keller~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. That is so sweet and my dream is too meet Brooke Stutzman... she is my online best friend. So... you could say I am majorly jealous of you right now. I am so glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing trip. I can't imagine how it must have been to meet Melissa and her sister for the first time. I think I would be shaking, too. What a blessing!

    From that to seeing the memorials and standing there taking it all in, and then seeing Monticello. I have always wanted to see that, so beautiful.

    Glad y'all had fun! Best wishes for your permit test, and hope you have a blessed day on your birthday :)

    Love in Christ,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them!!! I'm so glad you met your friend! Looks like you had so much fun! I love your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is my favorite blog post of yours so far ;) Meeting you was the best thing of my life! I am so thankful we were finally able to meet in person. God is so amazing & I am so thankful that this blog brought us together! Can't wait until I come down and visit you in AL!

    Love the pictures! Especially the one of us girls walking down the stairs. :)

    Love you always,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Grace, I totally forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday!
    So...

    HAPPY 15th BIRTHDAY GIRLFRIEND!! did you get your permit?
    Always,
    Sam:)

    ReplyDelete